Smithing is a skill that uses ores and bars to make useful things. It is popular, because players can sell their bars and armor they make. You make more money selling the bars made from the ores rather then smelting the bars into armor or weapons.
There are two things in smithing, smelting and forging. Smelting is the process of taking a metal bar from an ore. To smelt a bar, you need an ore and you need to find a furnace. next, you right click on the furnace and select “smelt furnace” Then at the bottom of the screen, you need to click the type of ore you want to make; you can right click the type of ore and select to make 5, 10 or “X” amount of bars.
All metals, with the exception of iron, have a one hundred percent success rate. This means that every time you attempt to smelt it, it works. Iron has a 50% success rate which means it makes a successful bar only half of the time.
You can also smelt using magic, at magic level 43 you obtain the superheat spell. This gives you some smithing and some magic experience, it also gives you the advantage of not having to find a furnace.
Graph of bars(Member bars are italicized)
Smithing is making metal objects out of bars. Smithing requires a hammer and must be done on an anvil. To do this, you click the bar in your inventory then click the anvil. A page will come up asking you what you would like to smith, you can left click the picture of the item to make one, or right click it and select to make 5, 10, or”X” number of that item.
If you do not wish to smelt bars into armor or weapons, you sell them, along with ore you would not like to smelt. This gives more money than making armor or weapons and then selling them. The most reccomended un smithed bar to sell is steel.
- Copper and tin ores: 119 and 96 coins, respectively, for a total cost of 215 coins per bronze bar smelted.
- Iron ore: 261 coins for a cost of approximately 522 coins per iron bar smelted and 803 coins per steel bar smelted.
- Silver ore: 300 coins per silver bar smelted.
- Coal: 271 coins is the current cost per coal.
- Gold ore: 315 coins cost per gold bar smelted.
- Mithril ore: 316 coins for a total cost of 1400 coins per mithril bar smelted.
- Adamantite ore: 1,207 coins for a total cost of 2,833 coins per adamantite bar smelted.
- Runite ore: 17,000 coins for a total of 19168 coins per runite bar smelted.
Prices will vary
|Item||Market price||Per bar profit||Per bar profit using the Blast Furnace|
Experience per ore
|Ore||Number of ores||Smelting exp.||Smithing exp.||Total exp.||Total exp. per ore||Blast furnace
total exp. per ore
|Iron||1 (~50% success rate)||6.25||12.5||18.75||18.75||37.5|
|Iron||1 + ring of forging||12.5||25||37.5||37.5||37.5|
|Gold||1 + goldsmithing gauntlets||56.2||n/a||56.2||56.2||56.2|
Experience per bar
|Ore||Coins needed for 1 exp by buying ores||Coins needed for 1 exp by buying bars|
|Iron||~5.44 (~50% success rate)||9.88|
|Iron||2.72 (ring of forging)||9.88|
|Gold||8.11 (goldsmithing gauntlets)||n/a|